Friday 26 August 2011

Vista on the HP Proliant Microserver

I recently got an HP Proliant Microserver (which currently has a £100 cash back offer from HP) to store media and backups on. This is a little server box with 4 drive bays sporting a low power dual core AMD processor. I've added 4GB of DDR3 ECC RAM to give 5GB and as well as the 250GB HDD that comes with it, added a 2TB drive for storage. I had a spare copy of Vista so its currently running that while I wait for Windows Home Server 2011 to arrive.

I had a couple of issues installing Vista on it. First of all I had to change the SATA controller to IDE mode in the bios to get the installer to detect the hard drive.

Vista didn't find an ethernet driver. The machine has a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5723 ethernet controller so I was able to use a driver from the Broadcom site.

Finally, rather than use the standard VGA driver, I used ATI Catalyst Mobility utility to pull down the appropriate graphics driver.

Vista runs a little sluggish on this machine but it should be fine for a little share sharing until WHS 2011 arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment